Q: The new US sanction list on Iran included three Chinese nationals and two Chinese enterprises. One of the two Chinese enterprises said that it had no business dealings with Iran in the past three years, still less illegal transactions. What is your response? Will you lodge representations with the US side?
A: I have also noted the statements made by the relevant Chinese enterprise.
As for the inclusion of Chinese entities and nationals in the new US sanctions on Iran, we have lodged representations with the US side. On the issue of sanctions, China always opposes any unilateral sanctions. Imposing unilateral sanctions at every turn contributes in no way to enhancing mutual trust between relevant parties and works against the cooperative efforts made by relevant parties to jointly resolve some international issues, especially when they hurt the interests of a third party.
Q: The US military announced last Friday that a missile jointly developed by the US and Japan was launched near Hawaii and successfully intercepted a medium-range ballistic missile. The US military said that this successful launch was very important to the two countries and would strengthen its global missile defense system. Given China's strong opposition to the US plan to deploy THAAD in the ROK and China's claim that the US-Japan security treaty was born of the Cold War, what is China's reaction to this missile launch?
A: China always believes that the anti-missile issue bears on global strategic stability and mutual trust among major powers, and therefore shall be approached with great care. All countries, while preserving their own security interests, shall also respect the security concerns of others, follow the principle of maintaining global strategic stability and compromising security of no other nations, and jointly build a peaceful and stable international security environment where everyone enjoys equality, mutual trust, and win-win cooperation.
On the issue of THAAD, you are quite right about China's position which has not changed and won't change. We are firmly against the US and the ROK deploying the THAAD anti-missile defense system in the ROK.
Q: We are all very concerned about the case of Wang Qi, a Chinese soldier in India who as an old man longs to be united with his family in China. Do you have any latest updates on this case? What have you done to help bring him back?
A: We know that this case has been closely followed by the media, and we have already talked about the efforts made by the Chinese Embassy in India over recent years. Mr. Luo Zhaohui, Chinese Ambassador to India, also spoke with Mr. Wang over the phone the other day, as you may have noticed from the news coverage.
The Chinese Embassy in India has been in contact with Mr. Wang over the past few years, making great efforts in smoothing the way for him to return and visit families in China which included communicating with the Indian side to timely process his exit and entry formalities. The Chinese Embassy in India issued a 10-year Chinese passport to him in 2013 and has been providing him with a certain amount of living allowances per annum since then. We believe that with the joint efforts of China and India and following the wishes of Mr. Wang, this case will come to a satisfactory ending.
Q: You just talked about Mr. Wang's conditions and the work China has been doing to bring him back. The fact is that he now has a family in India with children and grandchildren. Will China consider arranging his family members to return to China?
A: I suggest you take a look at the statements released on the website of the Chinese Embassy in India. Information about the phone call I just mentioned between Ambassador Luo Zhaohui and Mr. Wang is also on the website. I want to reiterate that we believe that with the joint efforts of China and India and in particular following the wishes of Mr. Wang, this case will come to a satisfactory ending. The Chinese government and the Chinese Embassy in India are in touch with Mr. Wang and his families. They are also in close communication with the Indian side.
Q: There was an accident on February 4 at the construction site of an internal shaft project in Albania which is undertaken by the Wenzhou Mine Working Co. Ltd. Do you have more details and what has been done by the Chinese side?
A: On the night of February 4 Beijing time, a gas explosion accident at a chrome mine of the Wenzhou Mine Working Co. Ltd in Bulqize, Albania wounded one Chinese worker and left three others trapped.
Upon learning the accident, the Chinese Embassy in Albania immediately activated the emergency response mechanism, coordinating with relevant departments in Albania to promptly send professional rescue teams to the site. It has ordered the relevant company to do its utmost in saving the trapped and sent task forces to the site to assist in and organize the rescue.
The Foreign Ministry and the Chinese Embassy in Albania will continue to follow this incident, cooperate with relevant departments in China, and coordinate with the Albanian side and the relevant company in their rescue work and follow-up matters.
Q: US Defense Secretary Mattis recently said in Japan that the US did not see any need for dramatic military moves at all in the waters of the South China Sea. But he also said that China's certain actions has shredded the trust of nations in the region. What is your comment?
A: I believe you are very clear about the current situation in the South China Sea and China's position. There is no trouble to speak of in the South China Sea. Thanks to the concerted efforts of China and relevant neighboring countries in the South China Sea, the situation on the sea is back to normal, to the track where directly concerned parties engage in dialogue and consultation to manage differences, and China and ASEAN countries work together to maintain the sound state of regional peace, security and stability. As we said before, it serves the common interests of all regional countries. We hope non-regional countries can respect the common interests and aspirations of regional countries.
As for Defense Secretary Mattis' remarks on seeing no need for dramatic military moves and resolving relevant issues through diplomatic means, we also believe that relevant issues shall be worked out through diplomatic means by parties directly concerned and disputes managed through consultation and negotiation. That is the right thing to do.
Q: The Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc. said after analyzing video images taken inside the No. 2 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex that they had detected a record radiation level of up to 530 sieverts per hour. People will die in seconds when exposed to such high levels of radiation. Is China worried about that? Will that affect Chinese citizen's Japan-bound trips?
A: We have noted the relevant report. The Chinese side has been watching closely the repercussions of the Fukushima nuclear leakage accident and has been asking the Japanese government to properly handle the accident and follow-up matters in a timely fashion. I believe any responsible government will pay continuous and high attention to the impact of the nuclear leakage on the marine environment, food safety and people's health. We also hope that the Japanese government will give a responsible explanation on how will they offset the impact of the leakage. This is their obligation to not only the Japanese people, but also people from the rest of the world, its neighbors included.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has issued relevant safety alert. We believe our Chinese fellows will make proper travel plans and take protective measures.